Friday 14 June 2013

LA Downtown

22nd August 2012
The third day was spent in downtown LA. I didn't have much of a plan but to wander around, using Downtown LA Walks as an inspiration. The only place that I wanted to visit was the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Untitled

The Walt Disney Concert Hall was stunning and I loved the design.

Eventually, I wandered down to Exposition Park. I should have done more research as it wasn't the sort of park that I was interested in. Rather, it was a park that housed a variety of museums and science centres. I wanted to save some money and also explore the area so I decided to walk from downtown (1st street) all the way down to 39th street. Whoops. I didn't actually realise it was that far away and unlike the blocks in NYC, each block was fairly substantial and it took me nearly 1.5 hours. Though on the upside, I walked past a lot of elementary and high schools, as well as University of Southern California. It was interesting seeing all the freshman move in, their cars packed with luggage and their entire life, parents hovering and resident advisers directing frazzled families. I also stopped by Staples Stadium (unintentionally).

I had purchased a bag of trail mix from Trader Joes. I never knew that there was chocolate in trail mix bags and for every almond that was in the bag, there were at least 3 milk chocolate drops, 1 dark chocate drop and a white chocolate drop.

I treked back to downtown, walking 1.5hrs in the blazing sun. This was when I also realised that tap water in LA tastes horrendous. I had realised that it did taste different the previous two days. To describe it simply, it tastes like a slightly better version of pool water. Which is pretty horrendous. I also visited Grand Park in downtown and it was a beautiful day in the park. The fountain was also in the short by Wong Fu Productions!

Los Angeles - Grand Park

Untitled

This was my last full day in LA and it was great to see the business side of the city apart from the beaches and Hollywood.

My Overall Thoughts
LA was interesting. Out of all the cities that I have visited, LA was not my favourite city. It was good in a sense, because my visit to the USA would not have been complete if I hadn't visited Hollywood and Santa Monica/ Venice Beach.

Would I re-visit?
Probably not at the top of my list.

2 comments:

  1. Do come again, and let me know when you do. I'll take you on a proper tour of the city! The best things about LA are the hidden nooks and crannies ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will in the future at some moment (no idea when truth be told) but will definitely hit you up for some ideas about things to do as I have already done all the tourist traps :) I think a large part of everything is that I didn't have a car to really get around. But next time!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)