Wednesday 8 April 2015

Fika Swedish Kitchen


I have this tendency to whine a little too much about the weather. When it is sunny and tolerably warm, I curse at the sun. When it is gloomy, I curse at the clouds for making it so dreary. And yet, when I was overseas in Europe and saw the sun/ clear skies for the first time in a very long time, I was just so happy. The grass is always greener on the other side. I have been feeling a little "stuck" lately and I believe it is attributable to the fact that I am constantly indoors. So what did I do? I decided to head to Manly for brunch after running some errands.


 

Fika Swedish Kitchen has been on my radar for a little while now and I have been putting it off due to lack of interest from people I know. But what the heck. Why not go by myself?

Copied from their website:
Fika is a Swedish word that translates as ‘taking a break for coffee and a bite to eat’. But really it’s much more than that. It’s a moment to relax, to catch up with your family and to laugh with your friends. It’s making up for lost time, or part of your daily ritual. A cosy escape, or a refreshing pause. It’s the time between meals, the place between destinations. There’s always time for Fika.
I ordered the 'Salmon Lover' which consisted of pumpernickel bread topped with smashed avocado, smoked salmon and a poached egg. A funny story: I used to like smoked salmon until one fateful yacht trip where I ended up puking it back up, right along with my chocolate drink. Needless to say, I was a little scarred by the experience and didn't eat it for over 7 years until last year.


I love pumpernickel bread especially as it has fond memories attached to it.

It was nice just doing something for myself. I'm not 100% comfortable with eating by myself (apart from at sushi train and ramen places) but I definitely do want to get over this discomfort. I was also too awkward to take out my camera so I just resorted to using my phone only. One step at a time. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm the same! When it's winter, I wish it was summer; when it's summer, I wish it was winter. Anywho, I love how bright this cafe is. It makes everything feel so light. And ooh, the egg looks delicious too! // Sometimes I feel awkward whipping out my camera too. I get self-conscious, and I don't want people thinking that I'm just another basic *beeyotch snapping an Instagram pic... but maybe that's exactly what I am haha. Another time I feel really self-conscious while taking pictures is when another person near me is taking pictures as well with his/her DSLR. It feels like a competition of who's the better photographer haha. Even though I know it really isn't and they probably don't even know that I'm there... -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ireland has 4 different seasons in one day so it never gets boring in here ahah. Fog, sunshine, hail, rain, wind, you name it. Salmon Lover looks beyond delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach is always a good idea! I feel awkward eating by myself too, defs too awkward to use my camera to take photos too haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely feel the same way about the weather! :) I miss the beach so much, though. That's one thing I can't wait for when I go back to Australia. <3 But eating by myself is literally the greatest thing in the world, haha. No one to judge how much I eat (y).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)