Wednesday 31 August 2016

Mongolia Trip: Yolyn Am

Day 2 - Tuesday 9th August 2016
I woke up naturally right before sunrise and managed to watch the sunrise. It wasn't a super special sunrise however it was very surreal to be in such an empty and quiet landscape, well except for the noises from the goats and the camels.

Breakfast consisted of stale / dry bread and spreads including super sweet jam and liverwurst. Sadly, this was the start of 11 days of breakfasts.

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

After breakfast, we headed towards our destination of the day which was Yolyn Am which is located within the Gobi Gurvansaikhan National Park. 

After many hours of driving, we arrived at our lunch destination at the last major city before the Gobi, Dalanzadgad. Driving into the city felt a little eerie and almost as though it was a post apocalyptic city. It was very hot, very dry and dusty. Lunch was yet again another meat and carb dish. 

Mongolia 2016
I only brought a manual focus lens and sadly a lot of photos are out of focus in the beginning / over my trip.

Yolyn Am is part of the Gurvan Saikhan Mountains and also part of the Gobi desert! It definitely wasn't what came to mind when I thought ofa desert however the Gobi spans more than just the sand dunes area. It is sometimes known as the Ice Canyon as there is sometimes ice even during summer! However, it had been unusually hot in Mongolia the week prior to my trip and the ice had all melted which wasn't surprising. Nevertheless, it was absolutely beautiful! An American guy, the Canadian girl and I walked into the canyon for a little hike. It was absolutely stunning and a very nice introduction to the world outside of the bumpy van!

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016
It must be gorgeous in the springtime with all the wildflowers blooming!

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016

Mongolia 2016
Standard Natalie shot. I wanted to watch the sunset however it became very overcast an hour before the sunset. 

Mongolia 2016
Dinner! Except two tiny flies flew into my soup :( I had to fish them out and then eat the soup. Mongolia overall was a little eyeopening - I did a lot of things that weren't probably the most hygienic / things that I would normally not do in everyday life.


This was my ninth trip as part of #take12trips. To see previous trips please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)