Wednesday 6 September 2017

Adventures in Sydney: Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

Over the past few years, I have visited a few cemeteries around the world. From Savannah, Georgia to New Orleans, Louisiana and even Glasgow, Scotland! I understand that it is quite odd to be interested in visiting cemeteries and people usually throw a few quizzical looks my way.
Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

I recently spent a few hours at Rockwood Cemetery which is the largest necropolis in the Southern Hemisphere. At a whopping 286 hectares, it is actually its own suburb! For the past three years, Rockwood has held an outdoor sculpture exhibition nestled within the graves in one of the older sections of the cemetery.

Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017
Probably my favourite exhibit

Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

There is just something about cemeteries that makes me feel really calm and centred. I suppose that is a bit of an odd thing to say. I just find it is so beautiful to see what family members / loved ones have done to honour the deceased. From the extravagent marble mansoleums, to marble headstones - one even had its own marble bench! - to some of the simpler and more discrete graves. As I am walking amongst the graves in the newer sections, I can't help but think about how many can fit in each grave and also the sheer amount of money that has been spent. It is not just what is above ground but the cost of the plot itself is so insanely expensive. I wonder if I should invest in burial plots rather than property (housing).

Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

Hidden 2017

This was my second year at the Hidden exhibition and I definitely see myself visiting in the future.

Hidden is a free event running until 24 September 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)