Friday 24 August 2018

Bangkok


In Bangkok, we walked a lot, ate cheap street food and sweated a lot.

We stayed at a nice hotel; whilst it wasn't centrally located, it had an amazing view. The hotel was located near offices and that meant cheap street food!




Northern Thai sausage (sai ua)




Best fried chicken! Although we made sure to distance ourselves from the bubbling oil.




Benchakiti Park


We headed to Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market for dinner.








We ordered a ridiculously hot green curry (not pictured). My whole face tingled and, for a moment, it felt as though I couldn't feel my face. Hands down the hottest thing I have tasted in my life.




After Wat Pho, we walked a ridiculous number of kilometres to reach the Victory Monument, and then a ridiculous number of kilometres back to the hotel (~13km in total).


On the way there, we stumbled upon a local market and got fried bananas. Very oily.


The monument - erected in 1941 - commemorates the Thai victory in the Franco-Thai War.


Some kind of sesame ball from a local vendor near the hotel.

And that brings me to the end of my posts about my trip to Vietnam & Thailand! It seems that every Australian and their cat has been to South East Asia yet, this was my first visit to the region.

Things I learnt:

  • Linen is my favourite material. Ever.
  • Sock tans are inevitable.
  • I prefer to eat street food / food from local stalls rather than eating at a hipster / trendy looking place that I could simply eat at back home.
  • Everyone says that Vietnam / Thailand is dirt cheap. It is. But I think it's important to remember that it is all relative. Yes, it is cheap but that is simply relative to the value of my home currency. Although it may seem ridiculously cheap compared to back home, it actually might be ridiculously expensive for the average local (i.e. the burger in Hanoi).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)