Monday 5 September 2011

Hyde Park

Wynyard

I met up with a friend this morning for breakfast at Whole Meal Cafe which I pass twice a (university) day but I had never realised. I was sorely tempted trying 'The WHOLE Meal' breakfast item which included sausages, rindless bacon (to which my friend protested, 'but that is the best part of the bacon' which I wholeheartedly agree), field mushrooms, 2 x toast and 2 x eggs. But alas I settled for the eggs benedict with ham and spinach. The orange juice was super amazing and yet at $6 per glass (maybe 500 ml?) I thought that was tad pricey.

Eggs Benedict

One of my favourite spots in Sydney would definitely have to be Hyde Park. I think I spent the vast majority of my free time last year lying in the grass in Hyde Park and it is really gorgeous. It is also so strange; when you are in the park it is very serene and yet you look 100m away from you and the roads are filled with buses and cars and yet on the grass it is almost as though it is another world entirely. I am in love with this walkway; it is so grand.

Hyde Park

When I was a little girl, my mother took me to Hyde Park and to see the Archibald Fountains. As a child I was so embarrassed to even look at the fountains since they were nude (shock horror!) and so I never really noticed what the statutes were of. It was actually only a few months ago when I realised that they were all mythical characters.

There is Theseus and the Minotaur; represents sacrifice for the public good.

Theseus and the Minotaur

Apparently Diana who was Goddes of Purity and yet for some reason, the greyhounds/dogs behind her remind me of Astraea although Google cannot confirm this. "Goddess of purity, of peaceful nights, symbol of charity; the ideal which watches over mortals - all that stands for poetry and harmony."

Goddess of Purity

Jason and the Golden Fleece; "it is the young god of the fields and pastures, of the pleasure of the countryside"

Jason and the Golden Fleece

 Meaning of the Sculptures - Source

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I forgot to take a photo of the key sculpture - Apollo.

5

7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)