Monday 16 March 2015

Barcelona, Spain

Everyone that I have spoken to has absolutely loved Barcelona. Whilst I think it was a better city to visit as a tourist than Madrid, it wasn't great in my honest opinion. First things first, I stayed in a hotel somewhat close to Arc de Triomf and it was really freaky. It had those giant wooden doors (the one where there is a smaller door within the bigger door) and two staircases that converged into one in the middle. There was also a super old metal elevator and it honestly felt like something from a horror movie since it was super dim and it echoed.

Barcelona

One thing that I didn't realise about Barcelona was the existence of the grid system of the streets. I'm not the biggest fan of the grid system and especially at night since every single intersection was exactly the same as the previous one which was a little confusing. First night was empanadas at El Laurel which was highly rated on Yelp.

Untitled

Untitled
I can't remember what I ordered anymore. From memory it was cheese & corn, blood sausage and ... I have no idea. Super yummy.

What is a visit to Barcelona without visiting Sangrada Familia. Well, I was a little torn originally since it was so expensive (for my standards) at €15,50 I believe (student price) for Sangrada Familia + tower admission. I do think it was money well spent since the interior was absolutely amazing. It's incredible to think that it was constructed in that style during the 19th century. I would highly recommend!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Barcelona

That being said, I think the visit to the tower was a waste of time and money. Largely money. Pretty much, you caught the lift to the top of the tower. Walked onto the little walkway (which was 2m in length) and then ... that was it. You would then descend via the stairs. Hmm.

Untitled

Untitled
Hello grid system.

Untitled

Untitled
I have an inherent bias for beaches in my area, therefore all beaches I have visited are usually quite underwhelming.

Untitled
Gloomy day (the next day). Walked all the way (quite a few blocks) to see the Magic Fountain, however it was turned off for cleaning. D'oh.

And to wrap up this Barcelona post (did also take a day trip out due to sheer boredom but that is for another post).

Untitled

Paella! Carne paella since I'm not the biggest fan of seafood. Prior to that night, I had never tasted paella before and it was nice? It's hard for me to really judge the quality as I don't have a basis of comparison. This was at Bosque Palemro (also highly rated on TripAdvisor and Yelp) and it was quite a nice place. Although there was a table of Canadians who were super loud and obnoxious. I don't know what it is, but you can usually hear North Americans tourists (Canadians and Americans) from a mile away. I think the same also goes for Australians. It's weird. You could also order 600ml bottle of cava for something ridiculous like €3 if not less.

Overall Thoughts
I had high expectations of Barcelona and it was very underwhelming for me. I'm not really sure what the appeal is, but I didn't really appreciate the city. It was kind of non-descript for me. And saying that to people makes me uncomfortable as everyone seems to love the city and I feel like the odd duck. I think it would also be wise to have this disclaimer that I did visit more than Sangrada Familia and the things I mention in all my posts. I sometimes just don't have what I deem as worthy photos or simply, a story to go with it hence it is omitted in my travel posts.

An interesting thing to note is the whole pickpocketing reputation that Barcelona has. That being said, a lot of other cities that I have visited also have that reputation and perhaps it is because I went in the quieter season, but I didn't think it was a problem. To be honest, I am quite situationally aware when I am travelling, probably moreso than when I am back home. In fact, I have only ever had one thing stolen in my life and it was my wallet on the bus back from the CBD to my home.

Would I re-visit?
No.

13 comments:

  1. I wouldn't like to live in Barcelona but I loved the times I had there with my best friend 2 years ago. It was not too hot but there was always something going on and even though I didn't get inside La Sagrada Familia (huge q), I managed to enjoy other architectural marvels... The Gothic Quarter took my breath away! Also, nice gardens and hip neighbourhoods like Raval and such. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hotel picture is as creepy as your descriptions are. Black and white tone gave it a spooky atmosphere too.
    I think I would enjoy the architectural design in Barcelona and the paella of course.
    Love your honest opinion btw.

    Best, Albert | Palming Pebbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hostel looks like the Addams family house haha! I would die to see La Sagrada Familia but I'm not sure if Barcelona itself would be a city I'd enjoy. It's pretty obligatory though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is obligatory. I think Spain seems to be generally, for the culture and the food

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos, must visit that city someday :)

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sagrada Familia was amazing! I was so sick of going inside churches by the end of the trip that I was reluctant to go into another one, but I'm so glad I did! The lighting was amazing! I remained cheap and didn't go up the tower though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I know the feeling. Where did you end up going on your trip?

      Delete
    2. Basically the path I mapped before! So: London > Ghent > Paris > Amsterdam > Cologne > Heidelberg > Munich > Dresden > Berlin > Prague > Budapest > Vienna > Venice > Verona > Milan > Barcelona.

      Delete
    3. No Rome?! What! Thought that would have been up your alley.

      Delete
    4. No Rome?! What! Thought that would have been up your alley.

      Delete
  6. I've only heard good things about Barcelona, up until now that is.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)