Thursday 12 March 2015

Ingrid Michaelson - "Lights Out" Tour

One of my favourite singers is Ingrid Michaelson. I don't consistently listen to her, but I always seem to "rediscover" her music every now and then and I remember why I absolutely adore her. The last time I really loved her music was in New Zealand on the bus trip to Paihia which was back in 2013. Her 'Lights Out' show for Sydney was originally scheduled for September however, she cancelled it due to her mother's health. It was rescheduled for last night and I had a brilliant time. She is an incredible singer, has a great sense of humour and really engages with the audience. In fact, she is even better live than on her albums and she is able to make me appreciate and like songs that I didn't originally like when I listened to it on the album.

A very funny story. My friend and I lined up early so that we could be at the barricade. An old man was handing out VIP passes (the VIP tickets cost $170 whilst GA was $65) and I assumed he was some promotional guy for her tour. My friend went up to ask for one and he only had one left so she gave it to me. Turns out everyone in the line was there just for the VIP rather than GA and the Metro Theatre woman started calling out names for the people on the VIP list. Turns out the old man wasn't a promotional guy, he just happened to have a lot of VIP tickets (he had a total of 6. I don't know how...) and we went inside. It was so surreal. The VIP package included a meet and greet, a photo and an autograph. The experience was unexpected. I've never been to a meet and greet nor met anyone really famous. (Although I have seen Samantha Harris from afar at my work). It was very impersonal and very much like a production line. You first lined up for her to sign your things (greetings were pretty much non existent) and then lined up again to take a photo with her (once again nothing was said). All in all, it was so cool that I have a photo with her and I actually "met" her. Ah!!

Ingrid Michaelson - Sydney 11/3/15

Ingrid Michaelson - Sydney 11/3/15

Ingrid Michaelson - Sydney 11/3/15

Ingrid Michaelson - Sydney 11/3/15

Ingrid Michaelson - Sydney 11/3/15

Ingrid Michaelson - Sydney 11/3/15

This was my third show and the last show I watched was actually in Atlanta, Georgia in 2012. The show was also amazing and has very funny memories associated with the night. Namely, that I think I got hit on by the security guy of the venue who offered me a tour around Atlanta. Ha. It's all good fun but I always bail/ sneak away because I'm never 100% sure if it's safe. But I love just messing around and playing along (is that weird). I actually have a few stories like that which just make me smile.

I can't wait for her next album whenever that is, and will definitely be going to her next show. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of her past two albums, I still love her shows due to her personality and her amazing voice. Anyways, videos that I took from her previous show I went to (whilst I love my current camera for low light photos, my old p&s' audio was infinitely better for videos).




I guess it would be appropriate to point out now that although I do take videos (occasionally) and photos I am definitely not one of those people who only does either one (a couple behind me where just doing that). I pretty much turn on my camera, point in the general direction and keep snapping absentmindedly whilst actually listening. I don't know how to explain it, but I don't really pay attention to what I am doing with my camera, if that makes any sense.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! You're so lucky! I love Ingrid, she's adorable and I just love her voice and music. That's too bad about how "meeting" her went. It always seems that way whenever you meet a high status person; always rushed and like you can't get anything you want to say out because security is already pushing you away lol. Love the photos you were able to catch, she looks lovely! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to listen to Ingrid Michaelson all the time! Her voice is so soothing and I love her singer-songwriter quality. Nowadays music is just... beats... which is cool too, but I really miss the storytelling aspect. Time for me to dig through my iTunes and relisten to all the Ingrid Michaelson I have :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)