Thursday 23 February 2017

5 Places I Want to Visit in Australia

There are so many places that I would love to visit and the ones that come to mind are invariably far flung across the world. However, Australia is a beautiful country with such diverse landscapes and is usually a 'once-in-a-lifetime' country for most people; I am lucky to live here. I have listed below some of the places that I would love to visit in my own (massive) backyard.

1. Lord Howe Island, NSW
Lord Howe Island (Group) are World Heritage Listed islands located in the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand and approximately 600km east of Port Macqurie. It is where Blake Lively's film, The Shallows, was filmed. It is also bloody expensive to get to! It is a universally accepted fact that Australia is expensive, especially when it comes to travelling. However, a 2 hr flight from Sydney to Lord Howe Island costs upwards of $800. How(e)?!?!? I am punny. At that price, a few hundred dollars more could take me to LA or Rome! And I haven't even looked at accommodation prices...

Coral Reefs

Kims Lookout

Qantas Link
The expensive plane to take you there!

2. The Kimberleys, WA
A region in the northern part of Western Australia and is around three times the size of England. I think it is also well known that Australia is massive in terms of land mass and getting around the country is quite challenging once you venture outside the east coast and capital cities. The Kimberleys contains gorges, waterfalls and rainforests.

Ord River

Bungle Bungles 14

Bungle Bungles

Mitchell River Falls

3. Kakadu, Northern Territory
Australia's largest national park and covers nearly 20 000 square kilometres!

Jim Jim Falls, Kakadu National Park

Twin Falls

Twin Falls gorge

4. Salt Lakes
There are a few salt lakes in Australia and I don't have preference for any particular one.

Lake Gairdner

IMG_2126.jpg
Lake Eyre and surrounds from the air
5. Broken Hill, NSW
I had a quick stop in Broken Hill many many years ago and apart from the Giant Bench, I have no recollections of the city. Broken Hill is a mining city and forms the BH in BHP Billiton. It is around 1300km west of Sydney and on the very edge of NSW state.

Looking west over the Broken Hill rail yards, just after sunset.

Broken Hill sculptures

Sunset

Have you been to any on my list? What places would you like to visit in Australia?

Rights with the images included in this post lie with the original creators who have licenced their images via Creative Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)