Monday 7 August 2017

Warragamba Dam & Knapsack Viaduct

I always find it interesting to return to a place that I have previously visited. To reflect on how I have and my life has changed compared to my previous visit. Although I must admit it is something I am reluctant to do; the whole 'there is so much to do and so little time' mentality does kick in a fair bit.

Earlier last year, I made a visit to Warragamba Dam in the south-west of Sydney. Fast forward to almost 18 months later and I made another visit.

Warragamba Dam

Warragamba Dam

Warragamba Dam

It was a fairly chilly Saturday morning despite the supposed high of 22 degrees. We had arrived close to midday and I was surprised by the lack of families / people at the dam.


Warragamba Dam

Warragamba Dam

Google Maps is my best friend which is how I discovered the Knapsack Viaduct. It was designed by John Whitton, the 'Father of NSW railways', and was constructed in 1867.
Its purpose was to carry the original Western Railway Line across Knapsack Gully at the head of Jamison Creek. It formed part of the Little Zig Zag, which climbed the eastern escarpment from Emu Plains to today's Glenbrook.

Lapstone, Blue Mountains

Lapstone, Blue Mountains

I was in awe of the sheer height of the bridge - it was 38m tall! It was quite incredible to be standing next to the giant piers and to see the detail in the arches. They definitely don't make things like this anymore!

Lapstone, Blue Mountains

A memorial for John Whitton who was an engineer for NSW Railways. Approximately 3494km of the railway in NSW and VIC were completed under his supervision, including the construction of the Blue Mountains railway.

Lapstone, Blue Mountains

The ruins of the railway gatekeeper's cottage, built in 1887 and destroyed in a bushfire in 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)