Tuesday 22 December 2015

Fitzroy Falls

A few weekends ago, I went on a one day road trip with Mr Paella to the Southern Highlands. I had visited the region earlier this year and it is a 2.5 hour drive from Sydney (although it is only an hour from the very edge of Sydney, damn you urban sprawl). We were heading to Fitzroy Falls at Morton National Park.

It was a little bit of a dreary drive initially however the weather picked up. Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned, but I'm not the biggest fan of the GPS. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful tool and the few times that I do drive, I love using Google Maps. But my problem is that I like to see the "bigger" picture of where I am driving and getting the general direction of where I need to go and I feel that that is a little lost when you follow directions mindlessly. Long story, but we didn't pay enough attention and we turned too early onto a small country road. Which was great!

Untitled

Untitled

I'm a little boring as an individual but every now and then this need for spontaneity pops up. I don't mind taking the back roads and you see different things!

We eventually made our way to Bowral for lunch at Primary Expresso. I ordered a potato rosti and Mr Paella ordered baked eggs. Nothing to write home about, but a nice simple and hearty meal.

Untitled

Untitled

Sadly at the time of my visit, it was a little dry and Fitzroy Falls was a trickle. That is the thing about outer New South Wales, I feel like a lot of the landscape is quite similar and Morton National Park reminded me of the Blue Mountains. Namely due to the flora.

Untitled

Untitled


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We did a quick walk around the track and discovered that the other falls were completely dry.

on the way back to Sydney, we decided to go via the scenic route from Kangaroo Valley to Berry. Oh my. The road there was crazy! It reminded me of country roads I visited in Switzerland except the road was narrow-er and the driver wasn't as confident. There weren't any lines and some of the bends were almost 360! You know that it is a sharp bend when the sign recommends slowing down to 25km/h on a 80kmh stretch of road. Please see photo below.

Untitled

Look at the right and left hand side of the image of the road.

It was a lovely day heading out of Sydney. I miss open space and the country. Or semi-rural. Actually, they are still big towns but compared to Sydney, everything is small.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)