Thursday 17 November 2016

Victoria Roadtrip: Canola Chasing

Untitled

I had been wanting to find canola fields for the past few years to photograph. Canola or rapeseed results in gorgeous yellow flowers when they bloom in September - October. The canola fields in NSW are located around 4 hours [one way] away from Sydney which was why I hadn't made the journey to them. However in Victoria, they are only 2 hours away from Melbourne CBD and therefore it was a lot more convenient to visit them.

On an early Sunday morning after I woke up in my car, I headed west to the canola fields.

Untitled
Where I slept for the night. The first time I have car camped in suburbia. 

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Quick morning walk with my 50c tea from the service station.

I found an easily accessible field on a back road and carefully stepped over the fence and into the field. Despite the photos, I was really only at the very edge of the field. At the end of the day, this is someone's livelihood and as I was already trespassing, destroying their crops was really not on my agenda.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

After I took my photos, I discovered that my car was stuck in the mud. My front left wheel was on a part of the grass that was unfortunately quite boggy. I must admit, I freaked out and knew that it would cost a fortune for the tow truck to get out to me. There I was, on a small backroad at 8am in the morning on a Sunday. Thankfully, 30 minutes had passed and a group of cyclists came by. I flagged them down and they kindly pushed my car out of the mud. I have never been so thankful in my life. After that, I became very anxious and careful about where I pulled over on the side of the road.

This was my eleventh trip as part of #take12trips. To see previous trips please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)