Monday 7 November 2016

Victoria Roadtrip: Heathcote

Over the Labour long weekened back in late September, I flew down to Melbourne as a little getaway. As you may be able to guess, I like to spend my long weekends away and make the most of it. In the past I went to Riverina region, Capertee Valley and Port Stephens. I decided on Melbourne for two reasons: [1] To meet my work colleague for the first time and her new baby and [2] I was running out of ideas of places to visit near Sydney.

Untitled
Eating McDonalds at the airport is part of my airport ritual, especially for long haul flights. I have eaten at so many McDonalds at the airport over the world because its comforting. I am not the best flyer and plane food is always a bit hit and miss, but Maccas tastes virtually the same everywhere.

Untitled

On Saturday morning, I picked up my rental car and commenced my roadtrip!

Untitled


My plan was to make a triangle shape between Melbourne, Bendigo and Ballarat.


On the way to Bendigo, I stopped at the town of Heathcote. By this point, I had been awake for 4 hours and had not eaten anything yet so I stopped for some food.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I picked up a pie and hot chocolate at Gaffney's, which is a pie shop that has won first in the Great Aussie Pie competition a few times. In all honesty, I was a little disappointed; definitely not as good as the Pie in the Sky!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The reason for my stop at Heathcote was for the Pink Cliffs. This was first discovered / exposed during the gold mining activities in the 19th century. They weren't as pink as the name would suggest, but there is definitely a reddish tinge present. I think I was expecting something similar to what I saw in Mongolia at Tsagaan Suvarga.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The few weeks preceding my visit, Victoria had been experiencing flooding due to the heavy rains. As I was driving by, this river caught my eye since it was so full and I stopped for a quick look.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Next post will be about Bendigo!

This was my eleventh trip as part of #take12trips. To see previous trips please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)