Thursday 21 April 2016

Peak Hill, Milthorpe & Bathurst

I had only highlighted one attraction in this region as I knew that I would be spending most of my time driving. This attraction was the Peak Hill Open Cut Mine which I had never heard about prior to my research. After my stop in Forbes, I continued my journey to Peak Hill which is a town with a population of 800.




The gold mine at Peak Hill operated between 1893 and 1917. It was then excavated for gold between 1996 and 2002. There are a few walking paths that provides viewing areas over the 5 open cuts and a great view of the region. It's also free! Free is always a good thing. It was a very very cool experience and I can't believe how deep the cut was and that's not even that deep compared to the ones out in WA!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
The good old toilet.

On my way to Bathurst, I stopped by Parkes to view the CSIRO 'Big Dish'. This wasn't on my original radar, however on my way to Peak Hill from Forbes, I saw the sign and thought it might be a worthwhile visit. I think the best part was actually the cafe and the food was reasonably priced (considering it was the only cafe in probably a 10km radius and it was at a tourist attraction!).

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It was taking a lot longer to Bathurst than I had anticipated as I had wanted to visit Hill End. Instead I decided to stop in Orange and Milthorpe.

Untitled
Bird on my car bonnet.

Untitled

Untitled

Orange was a little underwhelming and so was Milthorpe. I had read really good things about Milthorpe and is known for 'the very picture of country NSW'. I am not sure about that, but I really enjoyed the drive to and from Milthorpe.

Untitled

Bathurst was the largest city I had been in since Wagga Wagga and the last time I visited was in Year 5 when I learnt about the Gold Rush!

Untitled

Untitled

Bathurst was another night of free camping and unlike Wagga Wagga, it was right next to a major road and was a little sketchier. There were quite a few campervans but it just felt a little weird being in the middle of a park. Although next to the park was actually a few cows.... The bathroom was really dirty with so many dead bugs. Ecck! I stopped for takeaway pad thai and it tasted amazing! I spent my last night on the road sitting in the boot of my car eating pad thai and watching the sunset.

Untitled

Untitled

This is my fourth trip as part of #take12trips. To see previous trips please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)