Friday 8 April 2016

Riverina Roadtrip - Along the Road to Gundagai

If I had to pick a year, I would say that Year 3 was probably my favourite year out of primary school. My teacher was Mr Bluett and he had this scruffy beard and played the piano every time we weren't doing our scehduled maths/ science/ English lessons. Now in hindsight, a lot of the teachers had their little quirk; some focussed heavily on arts and crafts whilst my Year 4 teacher was a grammar Nazi. For Mr Bluett, it was Australian folk songs and poems. One of the songs that has stuck with me all these years is "Along the Road to Gundagai" by Jack O'Hagan. I still remember all the words and I haven't met anyone else who knows the song.

And that is really my rationale behind my Riverina road trip. Yes. A folk song I learnt when I was 9 from my Year 3 teacher. Bizarre? Yes, quite I believe. Here is the song for those who are curious.


On the way, I drove through Tumut and saw many cars parked next to the station. At the time I didn't know what it was and decided to stop for a quick look. Reading about it later, it was the Camaro-Firebird & US Muscle Car Nationals. Knowing nothing about cars or the event, apart from the fact that they were super shiny and lots of proud owners next to them, I headed back on the road.



Untitled

Untitled

Gundagai is just off the Hume Highway and is subsequently quite a popular town for a stop or a visit. The trouble with my road trip over the Easter long weekend was that a lot of places were closed due to the public holidays. I stopped at a cafe for some lunch. I actually ordered the chicken and asparagus vol-au-vent, however somehow ... the girl misheard and I ended up with a chicken and cheese melt.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
It must be so beautiful there when the leaves change

I walked to the historic bridges of Gundagai. These bridges were incredible! They were wooden bridges that went across the entire length of the flood plains and looked so unstable. I can't believe that they were used extensively back in the day!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

After spending some time in Gundagai, I decided to head to Lockhart via Wagga Wagga. However on the way I saw signs to a lookout and drove up. It was so beautiful up there! I guess that is also the perks of going by myself, I can take detours whenever I want.

Untitled

Untitled

This is my fourth trip as part of #take12trips. To see previous trips please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)