Monday 23 January 2017

Waterfalls in Tasmania

The day after Cradle Mountain was painful. The hike to the summit was honestly the hardest hike that I had ever done and it was reflected in how sore my muscles (especially my quads) were. I woke up early from my campground (where I was the only person there...) and drove to one of the tallest waterfalls in Tasmania, Montzeuma Falls. There is a bit of conflicting information about whether or not it is the tallest at a height of 104m. Unlike the previous day, it was a very grey morning and drizzled for most of the drive there. I hadn't done enough research and didn't realise that the walk to and from the carpark would entail a 3 hour return walk. Yikes. Despite how sore I was I ended up walking to the falls, encouraged by the sign that marked the walk as easy. It definitely was easy.

Tasmania

Tasmania

By the time I reached the falls, it was raining quite heavily and I was extra sore as I had slipped and fallen down onto my knees quite hard. There didn't seem to be too much water in the falls and the bridge was a little scary especially as I am scared of heights.

Tasmania

Tasmania

Tasmania

Tasmania

My next stop was the town of Waratah. Waratah is a town that was constructed to support supposedly the largest tin mine in the Southern Hemisphere. It was built on top of a waterfall and apparently was the first town in Australia to have electric street lights in 1886! The reason for my quick visit was for the waterfall and although it wasn't very tall, it was very powerful.


I continued my drive north to the town of Stanley, known for The Nut. I stopped along the way for lunch and also for the incredible views.

Tasmania

Tasmania
In bloom, these fields are covered with tulips!

Tasmania

Tasmania
Beautiful Boat Harbour Beach with beautifully clear water

Tasmania
The Nut

The Nut is an old volcanic plug at a height of 143m. The top can be reached by either the 2hr walking track or via the chairlift. As I was sore, a little tired and - admittedly- a little grumpy, I decided against heading to the top.

My third day in Tasmania reinforced the fact that the island state is so small. I went from valleys with eucalyptus trees, to rainforests, to waterfalls and then back north to beautiful beaches. All in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)