Thursday 7 November 2013

Florence Pt 2

12th January 2013
On the second day, I joined the free walking tour offered by the hostel. But just before that, the breakfast was amazing! It was buffet style and it had a considerable variety. There were eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee, cereal, fruit, etc. An amazing spread and the hostel was in a great location as it was near the station. I stayed at Archi Rossi.Originally, I was tossing up between a few significantly cheaper hostels but reviews seemed to be quite dodgy so I splurged on Archi Rossi (I believe I paid $20 AUD/ night not including city tax and every other tax imaginable).

I didn't include any photos of the duomo (Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore) in the previous entry because it was gloomy.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Actually really hard to illustrate how amazing the building was using my photos alone.

Firenze Dome HDR
NOT MY PHOTO. Credit.

Untitled

The tour was informative and as it was free, I couldn't complain! I went back to the Duomo and decided to climb to the top.

Untitled

Untitled
On the inside of the dome.

Untitled
Look closely. Hmm. Can you spot it? Look at the torches held by the devils.

Untitled
If that is what hell looks like, I sure don't want to be there. I went to Catholic school and to church for many years and I really don't remember learning about a 3 faced creature in Hell. .

The view was breathtaking and the weather was gorgeous!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
My typical lunch. Of course. Back to the present, I bought 1kg of Twiggy sticks and I believe I am 20% through and I am dreading the rest. I love salami and other cured meats, but my biggest issue is the fat pockets. It honestly grosses me out and in my Twiggy sticks they are becoming quite a significant issue.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

My Overall Thoughts
Florence is so gorgeous and so incredible. I loved the street stalls selling every leather product imaginable. If I wasn't so conscious about the weight of my luggage, I would have loved to splurge on a leather handbag or satchel. I love the smell of leather. It was a lot busier and crowded than I imagined, considering that I was travelling in low season so I can't really imagine being there during peak season in the summer.

My experiences in Florence always make me smile. It was an incredible city, coupled with Pierre (the man I met on the first night).

Would I re-visit?
Yes. Yes. Yes. Florence is my favourite city out of all the places that I have ever visited (places in the USA, Canada, Europe and Australia). I had never really thought of visiting it until my Student Flights travel agent (who by the way, was so lovely and I will have a random post at some stage about him) recommended me to visit Florence as it was his favourite city after Barcelona. And I completely agree. It is a place that I would recommend to everyone. I would also love to explore more of Florence (I didn't have time for the galleries) and Tuscany at some stage in the -hopefully- near future.

Next stop: Rome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)