Tuesday 12 November 2013

Praha

19th-20th January 2013
When I think back to what I ate on a daily basis, I draw a blank. I can't remember what I ate for dinner. Or lunch. Prior to the Czech Republic, I had always been in an English speaking country or I could butcher my way through the names of roads or train stations. But with Czech words, I didn't even know where to start with my pronunciation. When I landed at the airport, unless I walked past it, I didn't even notice an immigration/ customs counter. I am not sure what happened, but for some reason I felt so sick and was feverish. It was actually a little scary because I realised that if I was sick, I was on my own and I would have to take care of myself. Luckily, when I woke up the next day I felt fine.

I worked at the Pie Shop for 4 years and everyone I worked with was from another country but was in Australia on a) working holiday visa or b) was a student. There was a guy from Czech Republic who I worked with all the time. We had a lot of fun together. I have great memories. He used to let me take an extended break so I could spend some time with my then boyfriend and I would let him spend some time with his "friend" (I was 99% convinced he was in a relationship with that married friend) and he would cover for me as I would for him. We experimented and made our own combinations of pies and when I had my Trials and HSC exams, he would let me study in the back whilst he served customers. It was really sweet; we always worked with each other so we were in tune and it was really nice feeling knowing that little things, he knew how many sugars I liked in my coffee etc. Anyways, I had promised him back when he was in Sydney that I would visit Prague one day. And I did.

He met up with me and it was lovely, although somewhat hard because whilst we were close coworkers, we weren't close friends. It was incredibly sweet that he went to the library, borrowed a tourist guide and then studied it before taking me around Prague (he lived 2hrs by train from Prague). I don't really know where we went, but it was all over the city. It was so cold. I had been spoilt with the warm weather in England and Italy and when I went to Prague, it was back to the < 3 degrees C. He laughed at me since he was wearing a t shirt, a rain jacket and that was it. Whereas I was bundled up in my coat, my scarf, my beanie, my gloves and was still freezing.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

He took me out for lunch at a typical Czech cafeteria type of establishment. Apparently it is the normal place for business workers to eat at. He ordered for me.

Untitled
A typical Czech dish. Svickova na smetane. He told me that the Czech cuisine centres on meat and sauce.

Untitled

Untitled

I don't really drink alcoholic beverages. I had asked Jan to get me the smallest size possible which is the one pictured and for himself, he had ordered a 1 L beer. In the end, I only had 90% of my beer and he consumed his and my beer too. He also tried to teach me to say "cheers" which is this but I just couldn't do it.

Untitled
Prague Castle

Untitled
An odd moment when you are on Charles Bridge and there is a busker playing the didgeridoo.

Untitled
John Lennon Wall

Untitled
My tour guide. He refused to take a photo or be in a photo so I had to sneakily take photos of him. Compare what he was wearing to the tourist on the left hand side.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Prague Castle was a little underwhelming. It was pretty, but all I could think was that my face was about to fall off. It was quite touristy (as expected). As we were wandering around, there were so many stalls selling mulled wine and we finally found the cheapest one and bought a cup each. Correction: he bought mine for me.

Untitled

The wine was too hot and we wanted to drink it immediately so we placed it in the snow for it to cool down. It was quite funny.

Untitled

Untitled

It was really lovely catching up with Jan and having someone to take photos of me. Although it did remind me that he is a little ... odd. When I first met him many years ago, I was always a little wary of him. He has a weird vibe, serial killer type of vibe almost. Will I ever meet with him again, truthfully, probably not unless he happens to be in one of the European cities I visit next year.

I was in Prague for 2 whole days however I didn't do much on the second day. As Jan had already taken me to all the tourist sites on the day we were together, I spent the second day just wandering around the area. Didn't really stumble upon anything amazing or interesting. It was nice to just walk around in the lesser explored regions but I didn't take many photos.

Untitled

Untitled

My Overall Thoughts
Prague is known for the cheap beer and the cheap food. Of course, also the beautiful city. But mainly the cheap-ness of the whole city in comparison to other European countries. Which is so true! For the conversion rate from Euros to AUD, I roughly just had to times the Euro amount by 1.25. But when converting from Kč (Czech Crown) to AUD, roughly, all I had to do was divide by 10 and then divide by 2. For example, I bought a large loaf of bread for 10Kč which would have equated to $0.50ish.

Would I re-visit?
 I would love to explore more of the Czech Republic (there is a high chance of me returning as I would like to catch up with an exchange student). I would like to visit Prague in the warmer months. So I guess the answer is: yes, at some stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)