Saturday 8 February 2014

Mount Cook & Lake Tekapo

On the second day (the very first full day) we headed for Mount Cook via Lake Tekapo. I have to admit that I don't have too much experience with highways in Australia (perhaps I get confused with motorways) but the highways that connected all the cities in New Zealand seemed quite small. They were always just one lane.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

When we left Christchurch, it was incredibly overcast and a little chilly compared to Sydney weather. However, by the time we reached Lake Tekapo, the skies had cleared and it was a brilliant blue with no clouds. The colour of the lake was incredible! My photos do not capture the aqua coloured water. This lake (and in fact most of the lakes) are this colour due to the glaciers and the particles that settle in the water.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

After a very long, but scenic drive, we arrived at Mt Cook and our accommodation which was incredibly shit considering it cost $150 / night. We were exhausted and with the little time we had left in the day, we to the lookout for the glaciers which was very underwhelming. But the view of the valley was breathtaking. I am sure it was used in a battle scene for Lord of the Rings (along with probably almost every single city in New Zealand).

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)