Friday 14 November 2014

A Farewell at Sea Bar

When I worked at my first job, I met this quiet, but lovely Filipino couple who come to Australia to earn some money and have a comfortable life when they returned to the Philippines. At the time, they had left their 4 year old daughter with family. I was 17 at the time and it was when I first really understood the sacrifices that people make to better the lives of their loved ones. They were originally meant to stay for 2 years however after 5 years, they are now returning home.

Originally, cultural differences created a slight rift between us, however we also worked 6-7 hour shifts together in a small space which meant that we eventually bonded. I have so many wonderful and hilarious memories with them, including the time that they sneakily roasted a chicken in the industrial oven for their dinner (I'm sure that the owner would have been very, very unhappy). The wife actually helped me to get my current job where she and her husband also worked at.

For our farewell, we had lunch at Sea Bar (next to Seachange).

Untitled

Untitled
My Cajun spiced chicken salad

Untitled
Lamb cutlets with kumara mash.

Untitled
Fish and Chips

Like Seachange, there was attentive service and the food was really good. I actually didn't even finish my salad which is a rarity. I was very impressed that there were two pieces of chicken (I was expecting slivers of chicken) and chunks of avocado. I may have also eaten a third of my friend's chips since they were so crispy!

I was originally a little apprehensive of meeting since we hadn't talked properly for nearly 4 years now; we would say hi and bye when we saw each other at work. But conversation flowed really easily and I just remembered why I loved talking to them before. They are so down to earth and genuine people which I find a rarity unfortunately. We just talked about children, partners and just about how to live a fulfilling life. I'm a little sad to see them go because it is change (and I'm not the fondest of that). But maybe I will see them again one day when I visit the Philippines. Whenever that is.

Untitled
A very cool looking tree due to the winds. I am sure a quote about adapting to change and obstacles would be fitting here. Sadly, I can think of none.

Sea Bar on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely way to say goodbye! It's nice that you guys got to catch up before they left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's nice you guys got to say goodbyes/catch up before they left. I used to live in the Philippines but my family and I moved to the States seven years ago. :) My best friend from back home just recently moved out to Australia (and she loves it there!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long have you lived in the States now?

      Delete
  3. aw that's such a beautiful story. Along with that, the food also looks amazing:)
    Ariana // Thoughts Through a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes the food was pretty amazing

      Delete
  4. This post started so eerie and sad at the beginning. So glad you were able to bond then, and that you could rekindle over those old memories. The food looked great, and glad the staff was attentative. :)

    www.rosa-dyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awh, these sounds like such a bittersweet meeting/parting. It's beautiful - what they're sacrificing for their child. I think that it takes a lot of strength to be able to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)