Tuesday 2 July 2013

exploring atlanta

1st - 2nd September 2012
This was last weekend before the semester started and a group of exchange students travelled to midtown for shopping at the Atlantic Station.  In the end though, I ended up separating from the group and explored midtown with Sunbear. On the Sunday, I explored both midtown and downtown by myself.

Warning: Image heavy.

Atlanta Skyline

Untitled
I-75. By the end of the 4 months, I had been on this interstate more times than I can remember.

Untitled
Stumbled upon this park with Sunbear nestled between homes in midtown. I couldn't find it again.

Untitled

Untitled

When I told people that I was going on exchange to Emory University in Georgia, USA. Most people my age didn't know where Georgia was. Truth be told, I only knew where Georgia was because Chris Lowell (who played Piz on Veronica Mars who was the best part of Season 3 {it was a weird season}) was born in Atlanta, Georgia and a simple hyperlink revealed the exact location of the state. I had to resort to telling people that I was 'going on exchange to Georgia, the state above Florida'. Once they realised that, they started to comment that it was in the south and to be 'careful'. Though, people who were older than me were aware of where Georgia was because the 1996 Summer Olympics were held in Atlanta.

Untitled
Georgia Aquarium

Untitled

Atlanta is also the home of the Coca-Cola company. This statute was in front of the 'World of Coca-Cola' museum. There are a thousand and one places called Woodruff, named after Robert W. Woodruff, president of Coca-Cola from 1923 until 1954 and a philanthropist: Woodruff Circle, Woodruff Park, Woodruff Arts Center, Woodruff Library, etc. There is overall a strong impact of Coca-Cola on Atlanta, especially at cultural attractions and educational institutions. For example, the business school that I attended was Goizueta Business School, named in honor of Roberto Goizueta, a past CEO and philanthropist whose foundation had pledged millions to the business school. There is actually quite an extensive display about him at the school though I can't remember 99.9% of the information that I read.
Untitled
I love clouds.

Untitled
Atlanta from the Ashes

Untitled

Untitled
One of the best playgrounds. Second to the one at Darling Harbour.

Untitled

Untitled
Skyline of midtown from Piedmont Park
When I went into Piedmont Park (which is massive! There are dog parks, picnic areas, sporting fields and trails), there were a lot of people. The demographic of Atlanta is as follows:
I am convinced that all the Asians lived near/ on university because if I was to explore any area, 90% of the time it almost always consisted of only African Americans. When I caught public transport, it was 100% of the time. I basically had a neon sign above my head that screamed, "TOURIST/ FOREIGNER" as nearly every local had a car and wouldn't be catching public transport. I used to 'play a game' where we would try to spot the other Asian or Asian girl. It never happened. I digress.

In the park, everyone was African American and in pairs and soon enough I realised that there were a lot of lesbian and gay couples which was slightly odd because I couldn't understand why there were around 100 couples. Eventually I stumbled across the sign; it was the weekend for the Atlanta Gay and Lesbian Pride Celebration. Awkward; I was the only lone Asian girl wandering the park.

Atlanta is also known as Hotlanta in the summer simply because of the weather; 35 degrees celsius and 100% humidity is not great. Near the Fox Theatre, there was this amazing contraption (which was also present at Turner Field) where there was a massive fan and some water, creating a cooling mist. Despite the heat, I managed to walk a lot that day.


A walk that could have been planned a little better I do believe. I don't even think that I had lunch that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)