Friday 12 July 2013

Washington D.C

Untitled

Untitled

16th-17th October 2012
The last day, we visited the Highline. I had quite high expectations for the place; everyone had recommended it. I didn't particularly like it. It was alright but not overly interesting so I was quite disappointed.

My Overall Thoughts
NYC is bustling and loud. It was both overwhelming and underwhelming; it was what I imagined it to be and it was also not. My favourite part was visiting the borough of Brooklyn. In some respects, I am a little disappointed that I didn't love NYC more than I thought I would.

Would I re-visit?
Eventually. But probably not in the near future. I would love to explore upstate New York. Especially after following Jessica Naomi's blog.

We caught the bus from NYC to Washington D.C with Megabus. It was a 5hr overnight bus ride and it was hard to sleep since I kept on getting motion sickness and cramping from curling up onto a seat. Nonetheless, it was a $10 ticket, so I can't complain too much. We arrived in Washington D.C as the sun was rising and wandered around the Capitol before heading back to union station for breakfast at Au Bon Pain.

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled
For breakfast, we had Jelly Bellies. And became inspired to draw this at the Smithsonian American Art Museum
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Sunbear hadn't tried sushi before. Say what? I obviously had to rectify that. Although, I am not the biggest fan of sushi; I have an aversion to fish, especially when it is raw. Although, sushi is ridiculously expensive in the US. In Atlanta to NYC and then to Washington D.C. Though to be fair, I do only visit the cheapest sushi train in Sydney. We went to Yo Sushi!and it had a very high novelty factor. If you pressed the button for attention, all the music would stop and the light saber instrument would turn red. It was expensive, I think the cheapest plate was $3 and the most expensive plate was $7. A decent plate was around the $5 mark (I think the $3 was probably something along the lines of cucumber only sushi). Of course, factor in tip and tax it was a very expensive dinner. Oh well, peanut butter.

Untitled

We had an Amazing Race moment when we couldn't locate the bus stop to the airport and had to ask everyone for directions. No one knew anything, including the security guard working at a boom gate. Really? We made it to the airport. Note to self: don't fly out from Dulles International Airport. It was too far away from where we were staying, considering that there was a much closer airport. D'oh.

My Overall Thoughts
Washington D.C. was as I expected it to be. (I basically didn't expect much, but just some pretty buildings to look at).

Would I re-visit?
.No. I am not a museum enthusiast and for me, Washington D.C is one of those places where if I have visited it once, then it would suffice for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)