Saturday 20 July 2013

Savannah pt 2

24th November 2012

Untitled
 
We visited the Bonaventure Cemetary and it was a nice cemetery with quite a few tombs.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Wormsloe Historic Site was a place that was on every "must-see" list for Savannah. The historic site consists of part of the Wormsloe Plantation which was an estate by one of Georgia's colonial founders. Truth be told, I expected more from the place. The best part was driving under the oak-lined avenue with Spanish Moss.


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled




Untitled

We headed back to Savannah for lunch at Forsyth Park and had amazing bread.I couldn't stand the bread in the US. Who knew that sliced bread would taste sweet. And bread without high fructose corn syrup would still taste sweet. It was even harder for all the Europeans who were used to 'real' bread and not the crap sliced bread that was readily available. Even the bread from the bakery tasted terrible. After months of grocery shopping, I ended up purchasing food without high fructose corn syrup. There is something quite worrying when the ingredients list both high fructose corn syrup AND corn syrup, as if though one wasn't enough.

Untitled

Untitled

After, we headed back to Tybee Islands for Fort Pulaski , which was a fort that was severely damaged by the Union Army.One side is riddled with canon holes, like Swiss cheese.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Back in Savannah, we explored more of the city (as it was our last day there).

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Savannah is also famous for the in-store made candy that it produces on River Street such as pralines and fudge. It was ridiculously overpriced and the smell of the store was actually quite sickening. But we managed to get a free piece of candy immediately after it was made. I actually wanted to purchase a toffee apple, but at $6 (without tax) I really couldn't justify it.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It was soon time to leave Savannah for Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. It was very pretty as the sun was starting to set, behind the fields of cotton and farmhouses.

Untitled
Untitled
My mess. Whoops. My shoes, a trillion pamphlets and maps and my trusty disposable camera. What I found interesting in the US was that film and film cameras were everywhere. If you went to any tourist location, there would be boxes of Kodak film and disposable cameras which I found quite interesting. And odd.

My Overall Thoughts
It was as lovely as I expected it to be, although very small. I was quite disappointed in Bonaventure cemetary and Wormsloe, considering the reviews online. In hindsight, maybe we should have just visited Savannah for a day before heading up to Charleston, S.C, which was a place that we sadly had to omit due to lack of time.

Would I re-visit?
No. It was lovely and quaint, but not a place that I would visit again as a tourist. If I lived in Georgia, it would be a place that I would visit often as it is slow-paced and a nice break from the city life (although, I wouldn't really consider Atlanta to have a big-city feel).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)