Wednesday 17 July 2013

NOLA pt 2

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

10th November 2012
For the second day, I had organised a swamp tour with Honey Island Swamp Tour . We were picked up from the French Quarter and were driven to the Honey Island Swamp. The drive there was quite eye-opening. When we arrived at NOLA, it was still very early and I didn't really have a good look at the surroundings. Driving a mere 5 minutes outside of the French Quarter, a beautifully restored area, and the impact of Hurricane Katrina was still present, years since the event. There were so many abandoned, dilapitated homes (on stilts) as well as entire apartment blocks. The driver gave us a quick overview of the area, the fact that so many hospitals and schools which never re-opened. As well as families who collected insurance money (if they could) and moved away. And other families who weren't eligible for insurance (since their home wasn't elevated to a sufficient level) also left. After a while, every second sentence went along the lines of, "see that building? It used to be a ____. It's gone now". He also pointed out how far the water had reached inland, and it was substantial which was frightening.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I wasn't particularly interested in the swamp tour purely because I have been on swamp tours in Australia. However, swamps are famous in Louisiana and I decided that it was something that we did need to see. Though we were in the wrong season as it was too cold for the alligators (the main attraction). As I said, I wasn't particularly fussed. Seen one gator, seen them all. But it was a lovely boat tour, especially seeing the homes built next to the swamp, on stilts once again.

French Quarter

Untitled
My sneaky photo even though we weren't allowed photos.
Back in the French Quarter, we went to Preservation Hall on a side street from Bourbon Street. There, we met an Australian couple from Perth. And as I later discovered by the end of the trip, even though I have never met someone from Perth, I met a substantial amount when I was overseas. I also visited a voodoo shop which was a little unsettling. I am not an atheist, I am agnostic, and I believe it is because I am open minded. My logic is, you just never know.

Bourbon Street is basically a street filled with 'cabarets' (girl's in lingerie), bars and a thousand and one drink vendors. There were so many people who were drunk (although who can blame them when they have a Giant Ass Beer in one hand and a ginormous fish bowl of a mysterious concoction in the other). The most interesting part was the beads. I wasn't entirely sure of the meaning (and still I am unsure) but apparently it is connected with the Mardi Gras. There would be people throwing long beads from a balcony at certain bystanders below, usually if they a) were pretty, b) flirty, d) willing to flash or e) just being a good sport. Generally people just threw them to everyone and I have a few necklaces, although I only got given 3 and the rest were from my friends who got them for me. Haha. One of the roommates was really into it and just lifted his shirt constantly (he is a guy so I don't think it had quite the same effect).

I had some of the Hand Grenade which was quite strong. We got it on both nights, and the second night, the drink was a lot stronger. Apparently the drink are equal parts of: gin, grain alcohol, melon liquer, rum and vodka. It was quite nice though. I also wanted to try the Hurricane, as it is famous in NOLA. However, I am not much of an alcohol drinker and the friend who did want to drink already consumed a fair bit. The main reason that I don't drink alcohol is because I get the Asian flush which irritates me to no end. So what is the best way to avoid it? To only consume a little amount of an alcoholic beverage.

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)