Friday 19 July 2013

Savannah pt 1

Untitled

Untitled

23rd November 2012
Over Thanksgiving break, Sunbear and I travelled to the coast of Georgia to visit Savannah and Tybee Islands, before heading up to South Carolina for Hilton Head Island. I first became interested in visiting Savannah after having a discussion with a gentlemen at one of the clubs in midtown. I am not much of a clubbing type of person, yet I still went and it just reaffirmed my dislike for the whole environment. I sat in the corner the entire night and started a conversation with the person next to me. He said that Savannah was one of the top places in the USA to see before you die. Similarly, another exchange student (who had visited the US on multiple occasions in the past) also said that Savannah was the second prettiest city in the USA, with San Fransisco as number one.

Untitled

Untitled

Savannah was the first city in Georgia and its appeal is due to the historic public squares, streets lined with oak trees and Spanish Moss and the architecture and historic buildings. The is also the scene from Forest Gump which was filmed at one of the squares. Savannah is a 4 hour drive from Atlanta and it was a pleasant drive (well, I found it enjoyable as a passenger). We drove around the historic district and by the riverfront before driving off to Tybee Islands. It was such a gorgeous day (Georgia has amazing weather, except in summer).

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We visited the lighthouse and in line to climb up, there was a family behind us who were from Tennessee originally but later moved down to Georgia. The father was wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots with an amazing accent. It was amazing.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled
This is honestly one of my favourite shots of all time.

Untitled

My first time seeing and 'touching' the Indian Ocean. I also saw a few guys waiting to catch some waves and wearing interesting attire; backward baseball caps and t-shirts.

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled
My dish. This was so good!
Untitled
Sunbear's dish. It was quite nice, though I am not much of a fan of fish.

We headed back to Savannah and had dinner at a restaurant on River Street. The server was so rude however the waitress was super lovely. We ordered garlic bread as an entree and she gave us extra bread. Also, it was so awkward when I just just come back from the bathroom and used their free handscrub that smelt of lavender and Sunbear was smelling my hand when she came to get our order. Awkward. As tipping is expected in the US unlike in Australia, I got so irritated when I was forced to tip a waiter who didn't deserve it at all. In those situations, I would pay the minimum of 10%. However, the woman was so attentive and so lovely and I believe we ended up tipping her 20% of the bill.

That night, we stayed at a motel which was terrible. *shudders* There was hair in the bed (!!) and the white towel was stained (!!!). I became so paranoid and honestly believed that there were bed bugs and I became itchy (there weren't any bugs, just paranoia).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)