Thursday 18 July 2013

NOLA pt 3

Untitled

Untitled

11th November 2012
This was our last day in NOLA. We had been blessed with amazing weather the entire weekend trip, sunny and around 24 degrees C. Today, we were visiting the Lafayette Cemetary as well as the homes in the Garden District.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The Lafayette is one of the oldest cemetaries in the city and been used in a lot of films. It is unique because the tombs are elevated above ground as the ground has a high water table, unsuitable for below the ground burial.

And a collection of photos of the food I ate over the trip (that I also forgot to add into the previous posts).

Untitled
BBQ Shrimp
Untitled
Can't recall what this was. Some sort of crawfish dish. Although there was basically no crawfish.


Untitled

Didn't really like the beignets from Cafe Beignet. They weren't as fluffy, were too doughy and reminded me a lot of some Chinese dessert, the name escapes me.

The two items that I didn't end up trying were the po' boys and muffaletta. They are both sandwiches and I couldn't really justify eating a sandwich (no matter how famous it was) since there were just too many other things to try and do. It seems that southern food is starting to become trendy in Newtown and I was looking at some menus of the new establishments. I stumbled upon one which sold po'boys but using English muffins. Hmm.

My Overall Thoughts
New Orleans is vastly different to the majority of the cities in the US, especially when compared to the west coast and cities in the Tri-state region. It has a very different atmosphere and is very pretty. That being said, the main areas are very touristy and vastly different to just outside the city, sometimes to an extent that it seemed somewhat fake.

My favourite dishes were: jambalaya and gumbo! I must learn how to make both of them.

Would I re-visit?
For the Jazz festival, yes. Otherwise, no. I would love to explore other cities in Louisiana but I believe I saw everything that I wanted to see in New Orleans on that weekend trip.

I already knew that there weren't any Bank of America ATMS / other major banks in New Orleans and had already warned my travelling campanions, however they did not take heed to my advice. I ended up having to lend them my cash and we were constantly at CVS getting cash out, although they only allowed a maximum of $20 per transaction. There were a lot of standalone and dodgy-looking ATM machines, but they charged fees of around $5 per withdrawal. Moral of the story: bring cash as most places didn't accept EFTPOS or be willing to incur high withdrawal fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)