Wednesday 31 December 2014

Sick whilst Travelling


I used to say that I have a pretty strong immune system. I don't usually get sick and when I do, it's usually only once a year. Being sick when travelling is horrible and thankfully, my health is usually on the up and up. However a week ago when I was in Belgium, something flared up and I was hacking up my lungs and finding it hard to breathe. I have mild asthma and it only becomes a problem when I am sick and also during bush fire season. It didn't seem to go away and A. convinced me to go to the doctor (initially the hospital) to have a diagnosis and also to get a new puffer since I think the one I brought over got damaged on one of my many flights. Well the experience at the doctor in Berlin, Germany was interesting. She took my cash and put it in her own wallet. What. And she also took an extra €0.01 from me. The bill came to €44.99 and she told me to pay €45. Yes €0.01 is nothing but the whole experience was just so bizarre. Especially when she gave me change in €0.10 and €0.20. Right now I am almost €78 out of pocket in medical expenses (including my prescriptions) and hoping that my claim with my travel insurance goes through. Turns out my asthma issues was secondary and the primary issue was inflammation of my throat. Or something or other.
On the bright side, my asthma is a lot better, if not completely under control. The cold winter air doesn't exacerbate it too much now. Downside, I am still coughing a little but the numerous days of really bad coughing has resulted in my muscles under/around my right ribs to be very very very sore from the strain of coughing. Right now it is quite painful even to breathe deeply and it is horrible when I cough. I am heading to one of Budapest's famous baths - Széchenyi Bath - and hoping that it will help me a little.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, hope you feel better soon :( I've never been so sick I've had to see a doctor overseas when I've travelled, I imagine that would be pretty stressful in itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message! I appreciate every comment that I receive :)